Wednesday 8 May 2019

'Samuel' is now 'Penryhn'.

My recently acquired Quarry Hunslet today received its new nameplates. It was built by a much respected engineer who is a member of my club, and he named it 'Samuel' after his grandson.
Since it is a 'Large Penrhyn' Hunslet, one of half a dozen of the type built for Penrhyn slate quarries in North Wales (there were more similar 'Port' class of the type built, and the smaller 'Alice' class are very numerous), and I didn't particularly fancy any of the names of the actual Large Penrhyns, I decided to name it simply 'Penrhyn'.
Nick from 'Nameplates' in Coalville, Leicestershire made them and as he was at our Urmston open day today with his lovely 5" gauge 'Duchess' pacific, he brought them with him and I fitted them. My measurements (especially the mounting hole position and dimensions) were spot on, as was Nick's machining, and they fitted a treat!
I have also fitted the beautifully-made (by Dave Noble of Ashbourne) tri-cocks for the water gauges. These each have three cocks (hence the name) enabling not only the usual blow-down of the water gauge, but also its isolation should a glass break.

'Penryn' shows off her new plates. Urmston club carriage shed in the background.






.

No comments:

Post a Comment