Tuesday, 20 September 2011

A family wedding in Abersoch

We returned yesterday from several days in Abersoch, North Wales. The primary reason for the visit was to attend the wedding of my nephew Jim Nichols, but Chris and I decided to make it a bit of a mini break as well.

To see these pictures in all their glory, click twice on each image to view it full size:

The magnificent beach at Morfa Nefyn last Thursday

Setting off on Thursday morning saw us at The Cliffs Inn, Morfa Nefyn for lunch. For decades we came here when the children were young, hiring a local cottage for a week or two. After lunch we strolled along the magnificent beach a Morfa, paddling in the surprisingly warm sea which is always so clear here.

After checking in at 'Venetia' ( http://www.venetiawales.com/ ), our delightful 'boutique' hotel in Abersoch, we walked up towards the Yacht Club to visit my sister Elaine Nichols and guests Jan and Al who were staying with Elaine and her husband John.

The marquees on Thursday afternoon, in the process of fitting out for the reception on Saturday, as viewed from John and Elaine (Nichols) garden.

Jim was across the lane, just above the Yacht Club, supervising the installation of the marquees on the Abersoch headland for the reception on Saturday. There seemed to be a great deal still to do!

On Friday, the weather did not bode well for the wedding the next day. Before the atrociously heavy and prolonged blustery showers kicked off for the day we visited the church where the wedding would take place.

St Pedrog's Church, Llanbedrog, on Friday morning

We visited the art gallery nearby at Plas Glyn-y-Weddw before visiting Pwlhelli and then on to Aberdaron for lunch.

Saturday was the day of the wedding.......

The bride and groom, Anna and Jim, Saturday morning

The little church was absolutely packed, with some standing at the back or sitting on the floor of the aisle. We, the family, were OK though; we had reserved seats in 'Business Class' (the choir stalls) at the front of the church.

How pink is that waistcoat? Chris and I pose outside the church after the ceremony

Anna and Jim, the new Mr & Mrs Nichols

The location for the reception was quite stunning - on the Abersoch headland with sea views all around, and the mountains on the far side of Cardigan Bay clearly visible in the unstable airflow. There were no showers on Saturday at all, quite amazing considering this airflow produced some crackers on the Friday and the Sunday! Pictured above is a raised platform so guests could enjoy the fabulous views.

The 'reception' marquee; Jan and Sue (my sister in law) seated, my brother Phil bringing the drinks. The trio standing in the middle are Chris, Barbara (back to us) and the lovely Wendy. Just peeping over the marquee roof is my sister Elaine's and her husband John's house.

This was a surprise; at 16:30 two Yaks of the 'Yakovlevs' aerobatic team roared overhead from behind the venue with the fabulous sound of the two Vendeneyev 9-cylinder radials bringing back memories for me of our erstwhile group-owned Yak 52. A video of part of the display, and 'drawing a heart in the air', can be seen here:


Here is another taken by a bystander (not a wedding guest):


The champagne flowed - hundreds of bottles of it! And the caterers, 'Golden Goose', provided endless supplies of delicious canapes.

The meal and speeches were in the evening. Retired gynecologist, Anna's father gives his speech and manages to avoid (just!) any gynecology jokes.

Jim's speech did include a couple!

The Best Man's speech from Jim's brother Matthew was hilarious. Not to be outdone by Anna's father's and Jim's prominent eyebrows, Matt has brought his own! My brother in law John is centre and my sister Elaine on the right.

Reeeee - lax! ......Matthew and my mum.

Endless supplies of wine, champagne, and even draught real ale (Dunham 'Big Tree') helped to ensure a jolly time was had by all.

Jim and Anna take to the floor before we all piled in to bop to the pretty good live band.

On Sunday morning an informal get together in the reception marquee took place, with the booze still flowing and canapes being served

'Golden Goose' ran the bar and provided canapes until mid afternoon. After that, the bar was self service!

It's a good job the wedding was on Saturday. Some wicked showers rattled through on Sunday morning as they had on Friday, but later on Sunday the skies cleared. That's a pint of 'Big Tree' on the fence post!

We ate in Venetia again Sunday night and drove home the next day. Wow! I think we'd better lay off the food and booze for a while now - what a weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment